All foods are different and unique in their color, flavor and nutritional properties that play a special role in improving and maintaining health and wellness. Therefore, including a diverse variety of foods in your diet is important to benefit from all the nutrients that are needed for good health. You need to include a variety of fruits, veggies, grains, protein and dairy in your day today diet to ensure you are getting all the nutrients that are needed to prevent from chronic diseases like obesity, diabetes, cancer, heart disease etc. Below is a general guidelines of a general healthy diet.
- Include fruits at least with two meals a day: fruits can be easily added with your breakfast and snacks. Fruits are mostly carbohydrates but full of vitamins, minerals and fibers. Healthy adults of 19 years or older need about 2-3 daily servings of fruit.
- Include veggies with at least 2 meals per day: Veggies can be easily added to a dinner and lunch meal either you are eating at home or away. All you need to do is plan these meals around veggies. Raw vegetables can be easily added with your lunch pack from home. Vegetables are mostly carbohydrates. Healthy adults of 19 years or older need about 2-3 daily servings of vegetables.
- Include whole grains in daily diet: Whole grains provide fiber and B vitamins that play a vital role in our metabolism and digestive heath. Grains are also needed to keep up with the energy level that we need to do daily tasks. Grains are also mostly carbohydrates. Adults of 19 years of age or older need about 5– 6 grain carb choices. 1 carb choice is about 15 grams of carb.
- Include a variety of protein foods: Proteins are building blocks of every cell in our body and needed for the growth and tissue maintenance. Some protein is found in the majority of foods but mainly it comes from meat, eggs, fish, dairy, beans and legumes. Adults of 19 years of age or older should plan about 10 protein choices per day. 1 protein choice = about 5 gram protein.
- Limit added fats/Oils, salt and sugar– All foods have natural oils/fat, sugar and sodium in it. Limit adding fats/oils, sodium and sugar in preparation. Consume as natural as you can for the maximum heath benefits. In box food items look for the food items with 20 or less % daily value of fat, and sodium. Also choose items with no added sugar.
- Stay active: Plan on daily activity of 30 minutes or more as tolerated. Physical activity is very important along with healthy eating.
- Ancient dietary wisdom : Ayurveda (one of the oldest holistic healing system) recommends to start your morning with drinking a cup of luke warm water with some fresh lemon squeezed and a teaspoon of honey. This morning ritual is proven to promote healthy weight, healthy skin and digestive health if practiced with overall healthy diet and lifestyle!
You can access full newsletter along with a general healthy meal plan here!