I often pick these juices for my picky eater teenager. Only thing I look for in the label that it is 100% juice to ensure no added sugar or any other undesired ingredients. All the juices go well in my household except carrot juice because it does not taste that sweet, of course! Over the years after lots of hard work, I was able to convince my teenager that it is good for him:) Today I poured this juice for myself in a glass as well to go with my high carb lunch as a serving of veggie to make me Feel Good about my diet:) Then I decided to put this juice (Bolt house 100% carrot juice) for its actual healthiness test on our Food Coach. To my surprise, it turn out to be a Red Dot, Watch Out food.
Healthy “Feel Good” Qualities of Bolthouse 100% carrot juice
- Low in calories per serving
- A healthy balance of total carbohydrates
- Zero fat, no added sugars
- Good source of potassium (10% DV)
- Excellent source of Vitamin A (180% DV)
- No food additives, artificial colors, or flavor
“Not so Healthy Feel Good” Qualities of Bolthouse 100% carrot juice
Besides the above feel-good healthy qualities, Our Food Coach rated this food as a red dot food due to the following unhealthy qualities that may have negative health effects if consumed unconsciously!
- High in sodium: Food Coach recommends no more than 115 mg sodium per 100-125 calories on a general healthy diet. A high sodium diet is believed to increase blood pressure which is a known risk factor for heart disease and stroke.
- Low in fiber: This food is also low in fiber for its calorie level per serving. A diet rich in fiber is essential for keeping the digestive system healthy and to reduce the risk of heart problems, diabetes, and obesity. Food Coach recommends at least 1.4 grams of fiber (5% of daily value) per 100-125 calories on a general healthy diet.
Dietitian Nutritionist Recommendation:
While carrots are an important part of the diet, no matter how you look at it, processed foods will be concentrated in calories, in some nutrients while losing other nutrients. In this food example, it turned out to be a little high in sodium and low in fiber for its calorie level per serving. So watch out for these nutrients if you happened to put this bottle in grocery cart like me for the convenience of getting some veggies in your or your loved ones’ diet.
Food is essential, food is life, food is medicine, food can heal but food can also be very confusing and can cause many diseases like obesity, diabetes, heart disease, and even cancer. So eat with Intention (to your health needs ), Responsibility (to this planet), and Confidence (know your food)!
Disclaimer: Please note that this food rating is not medical advice. This can be only used as general guidance to a healthy and balanced diet to your health and wellness. This food does not ensure an adequate or inadequate and safe level of intake for a single person. Please consult your health care provider prior to following any diet plan to ensure your personal medical nutritional needs. Purchase our Medical Nutrition Therapy Plan for the nutrition plan that is right for you!