This whole wheat banana walnut bread is a delicious and nutritious way to start your day. Holidays are all about food but should not be about going over board with unhealthy foods. Either you will have guests and family tis holiday season; try making this bread at night, and your morning will be stress-free. Just slice up this flavorful bread in the morning and enjoy it with a cup of low-fat milk and have a healthy, happy, and energetic day.
2 medium bananas
1/3 cup vegetable oil
½ cup brown sugar
1 ¾ cup whole wheat flour
½ teaspoon salt
1 Tablespoon flaxseed four
½ cup chopped walnuts
1 tablespoon wheat germ
2 ¾ teaspoons baking powder
1 orange medium (grate the orange for orange zest, then squeeze juice)
Pan coating: 2 teaspoons vegetable oil and 1 tablespoon whole wheat flour
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Combine wet ingredients: Beat the eggs slightly in a mixing bowl. Add oil. Add mashed bananas and water, mix well.
- Combine dry ingredients: Shift flour, baking powder, salt, and sugar together in a different mixing bowl. Add chopped walnuts, flaxseed four, and wheat germ. Mix well.
- Add dry ingredients into the wet ingredient bowl. Add orange zest and juice. Mix well.
- Oil a loaf pan (8 ½ x 4 inches) baking dish with some oil and coat with flour.
- Pour the mixture into the pan.
- Bake for about 1 hour and 10 minutes.
Click below for the full recipe card!
NutriPledge food rating and therapeutic benefits:
This bread rates as a yellow dot, a healthy, balanced food in our food rating system (Food Coach) due to the following healthy qualities.
- 100% whole grain with health-promoting vitamins, minerals and antioxidants.
- Moderate in calories and a healthy balance of carbs, fat protein, and dietary fiber per serving
- No trans-fat, additives, artificial color, or ingredient
This whole wheat banana walnut bread is a delicious and nutritious way to start your day. It is moderate in calories and provides a healthy balance of carbohydrates, fat, protein, and dietary fiber. Walnuts are filled with healthy fats and antioxidants and have been shown to support brain health. This banana bread is an excellent source of dietary fiber ( 3 grams), manganese (45% DV), and selenium (26% DV). Fiber is needed for healthy digestion and blood sugar control. Manganese is a powerful antioxidant and also plays a role in keeping our bones and cartilage healthy and shown to help reduce bone loss and prevent osteoporosis. Selenium is also a powerful antioxidant to help the body from free radical damage and prevent many diseases.
Dietitian Nutritionist Note & Recommendations:
This delicious and nutritious whole wheat bread can be part of a healthy diet, and this will make a healthy breakfast with a glass of low-fat milk or even a great energetic afternoon snack with a cup of tea or coffee. Plenty of research suggests choosing whole grain products versus refined grains can improve health in many ways like weight control, blood sugar control, and a healthy heart if consumed as part of a healthy diet. Look for the whole grain items when selecting a grain product for good health and wellness.
Disclaimer: Please note that this page is not medical advice. This can be only used as general guidance to a healthy and balanced diet for your health and wellness. This food does not ensure an adequate or inadequate and safe level of intake for a single person. Please consult your health care provider before following any diet plan to ensure your personal medical and nutritional needs. Thank you!
Credits & Attributions
This recipe was created by Shraddha Chaubey. Blog content was written by Joseph Oliva and Mackenzie Merriman, Dietetic Student Interns. The content was reviewed and approved by Shraddha Chaubey, MS, RDN, CDN/LDN.