This mouth-watering refreshing Mexican cuisine-based super healthy salad can accompany any meal but goes well with Mexican foods. As you can see in the picture below, we tried this delicious salad with homemade crunchy tacos, and uhh, it was so good!
Here is how you make this super healthy and delicious Mexican salad.
*You can also print this recipe card directly here with nutrition and therapeutic health benefits. Alternatively, you can Register or Sign in at the link below to save this recipe card on your NutriPledge profile page!
- Wash, peel, and cut mango, jicama and cucumbers into bite-size pieces.
2. Wash and chop cilantro finely.
3. Add mango, cucumber, jicama, and cilantro in a medium bowl. Mix to combine. Set aside.
4. Whisk all dressing ingredients (honey, Chile powder, and salt) in a small bowl.
3. Pour dressing over salad ingredients and toss to coat.
4. Chill in the refrigerator for 15 minutes or serve immediately. Garnish with additional cilantro, if desired.
7. Enjoy a side dish to any meal or a refreshing afternoon snack. Eat with confidence, intention, responsibility, and confidence!
Recipe Profile: Mexican cuisine, Vegetarian plant-based side dish
Recipe Attribution: Christy Wilson, RDN
Note: The amount of salt and Chile is cut down from the original recipe to make it a healthier green dot and less spicy recipe.
NUTRIPLEDGE FOOD HEALTH RATING AND THERAPEUTIC HEALTH BENEFITS:
This super healthy Mexican salad is rated as a Green dot, health-promoting food in our food rating system (Food Coch) due to the following beneficial qualities, which are known to promote positive health and wellbeing if consumed within daily needs:
- Low in calories per serving
- Low in carbohydrates and zero fat
- Good source of dietary fiber
- A Healthy balance of sodium
- Antooxidant rich and other health promoting plan based compunds
- No artificail flavors or colors
One serving of this delicious salad meets about a 1/2 cup of vegetable serving of MyPlate recommendations of about 2.5 cups a day on a 2000 calorie diet. It is also an outstanding balance of calories, carbohydrates, dietary fiber, and zero in fat. It is also a good source of vitamin C (23 % DV). Balanced macronutrients (carbohydrates, protein, fat and dietary fiber) are rich foods that can promote overall health and wellness by maintaining blood sugars, weight control, and heart health. Vitamin C is a powerful antioxidant that boosts our body’s immunity and prevents us from many diseases.
GOOD TO KNOW FOOD FACTS:
Jicama, pronounced as “Hee-ka-ma,” is a root vegetable native to Mexico and Central America. This vegetable is low in carbohydrates and high in fiber, making it a good weight loss and diabetic-friendly and heart-healthy food. Read more here about this great Mexican vegetable.
The mango is a luscious and delicious tropical fruit that happened to be my favorite fruit. This fruit also comes with many health benefits.
DIETITIAN NUTRITIONIST NOTE AND RECOMMENDATIONS:
This super healthy mango jicama salad can be a part of your healthy diet and provide about 1/2 cup of daily vegetables. Remember to also include foods from other food groups (dairy, protein, and whole grains) to ensure you get all the nutrients your body needs for optimum health and wellness.
Disclaimer: Please note that this page is not medical advice. This can only be used as general guidance to a healthy and balanced diet for your health and wellness. This food does not ensure an adequate or inadequate and safe intake level for a single person. Please consult your health care provider and check out our Medical Nutrition Therapy services for the diet plan that is right for you!