This Friday I picked my favorite Belgium Waffle for the food talk. Starting your morning with this waffle may not be the healthiest way to start your day, but this was one of those mornings where I needed this waffle to go with my morning tea. If you are like me who enjoys fresh ginger tea, (with no sugar or sweetener) with a sweet companion food, then you may want to think about a Belgium waffle in your rushed morning. Prior to indulging I put this waffle to test with NutriPledge Food Coach! I was not surprised to see this as a red dot watch out food but wanted to dig deeper into it because I love snacking on it from time to time.
Red Dot | Watch out Food
This food seems to have these healthy qualities:
- Moderate in calories per serving
- Healthy balance of fat
- Contain zero trans fats.
- Healthy balance of sodium
- Healthy balance of total carbohydrates
- No artificial flavor or color
However, this food is rated as a Red Dot Food due to it seems to have following unhealthy qualities that may have negative health effects if consumed unconsciously!
- High in saturated fat
- Low in fiber
- High in added sugars
- More than five added ingredients
Also please be aware that –
- This food
seems low in protein for its calorie level.
- This food is not a significant source of Calcium. Make sure you get this nutrient in your diet from other healthy food sources.
- This food is not a significant source of Iron. Make sure you get this nutrient in your diet from other healthy food sources.
- This food is not a significant source of Vitamin D. Make sure you get this nutrient in your diet from other healthy food sources and some sunlight exposure.
- This food is not a significant source of Potassium. Make sure you get this nutrient in your diet from other healthy food sources.
My Conscious Nutrition Pledge: Great news was that this food had some healthy qualities but also some unhealthy qualities that included high in saturated fat, high in added sugar, low in fiber and some unknown added ingredients. So, I decided to cut the waffle in half so that I can cut down those unhealthy calories without feeling deprived. Later on, in the morning I had a piece of fruit with ½ cup yogurt to add my daily fruit and dairy into my meals without adding extra calories to keep up with my weight and overall health.
So put your favorite food to test with our Food Coach and Pledge with us today for the nutrition plan that is right for you!